Wednesday 6 February 2013

my "elder" brother

I have an "elder" brother and I was just sitting here remembering when I was younger always wishing I had a big brother. One of my friends growing up had older brothers and although they teased her something fierce...I always knew that she would be protected and no matter what happened they would take care of her.
 My "elder" brother was the MOST amazing Camp Director I have ever worked with and through his leadership I have learned how to love and serve kids of all needs and backgrounds. (Ain't nobody who can do a jungle party like Uncle Jason!!!) I saw him make all my sister's dreams come true by being the man that she had waited for all her life. I became the "third wheel" on millions of road trips in every vehicle the paulino's owned (I so miss that white truck). And in my loneliest years...it was at their home that I felt the safest and most comfortable.

When I saw Jason holding Jonah (through a pic) and I couldn't imagine seeing him happier, except for when I saw him holding Levi last Christmas. I remember watching him in blue scrubs just watching his Levi under the bright lights in the hospital room and thinking about what a lucky little boy he was to have such great parents.

I have been so thankful to attend a church that I get to sit beside my sister's family every week. I feel lost when they aren't there, and feel so happy when I see them walk through the door (even if I had just seen them the night before). I am so thankful for FOUR godly men who have taken on the role of elders at our church, and I have prayed for them to feel love and support and to continue to be fully lead by Jesus. This has been a horrifically awkward and impossible situation to try to wade through emotions and disputes and disruptions in our church family, but I have been proud to watch and support my brother as he has done this with grace and steadfastness.

But one of the most important things my elder brother has done for me is to love the guy I love so much. Way back when I was confused about Danny.....it was ALWAYS Jay who believed that it would all work out in the end. When I brought Danny to meet Kris and Jay for the first time, I just knew that they were impressed and really liked him right away. But over the last (almost 2 years) I have seen Dan and Jay become friends. I am so unbelievably happy and grateful about that. And I am so happy that Dan chose Jay to be one of his groomsmen because Kris and Jay have both supported me and Dan from the very beginning with hours and hours of conversation, food and just being together.

Tonight I really felt like my "elder" brother really had my back. I felt like he really stood up for me and just took care of me (even though I wasn't even there) I just felt so happy to know that. I know things aren't always easy but I am so so so thankful for my brother Jay.

1 comment:

  1. Er, I love this. This is so heartfelt and full of so much respect and admiration. Makes me wish I knew him. It's beautiful friend. Love you

    ReplyDelete