Monday 2 January 2012

New Year's Resolutions

I decided to start a blog, not necessarily about ALL my resolutions, but about one in particular.
I adore reading and I want to find a way to be really intentional about my reading and tell a bit about why and what the books I read meant to me over this year. I am not going to say that I want to read a book a month or anything like that but maybe just prepare a way to share some of my ideas with anyone who wants to hear about them. I don't really like opening my blogs up to the whole wide world....but maybe I will! haha!

Anyways.

Book #1: The Centurion's Wife by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke
Genre: Christian Fiction
Thoughts so far: Well......let me start with a tradition in my family. Mom always leaves a wrapped book by our pillows on Christmas morning that we can open (and when we were little, it was supposed to occupy us so everyone could sleep in peace a bit longer) so this year Mom gave me this book. I haven't really read tons of  Christian fiction lately, but I have loved all of Francine Rivers books and believe me, I read my fair share of J-Oke books in my lifetime.....But I will say....I am really enjoying this book so far. I won't give too much of the plot away, but its definitely centered on the centurion who Jesus healed his servant boy without needing to be near him (cf: Matthew 8:5-10,13) I love reading the history and context of this story and even the entire idea of the culture in that time period....

I'll say more when I finish!

I hope someone starts posting comments and adding ideas of good books to read this year....






4 comments:

  1. posing from Amanda :) I already love reading this blog ERE!! I always reading your thoughts and your perceptions on books and ideas.
    Keep us posted and tell me details of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one but have read tons of other C-fic lately. Let me know your thoughts. Might be too heavy on the history side for me! Love ya. can you blog a bit about your life as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds intriguing! Can't wait to hear about more books that you are reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I love that you have started a blog! And I also love that it is about books...I don't read nearly as much as I used to but I love books. I also have read lots of Jeanette Oke books, I still can read them over and over. My brother always teased me for reading them, but truly I learned so much from them through ordinary people.
    Oh and I think the book by your bed tradition is wonderful! I am going to ask Dan if he wants to adopt that for an Epiphany tradition (tomorrow).

    ReplyDelete