Tuesday 11 December 2012

A Christmas Storm Day....

Today I didn't want a storm day. I wanted a work day! I really really prayed for a call. Every day my upstairs landlords wake me up at 6 am as they prepare for work...and every day for about 20 minutes I lay awake in my bed praying over and over..."PLEASE.....PLEASE......!!!!!" And sometimes I do...but most days, lately...I haven't!

I don't want to spend a whole blog post complaining about that...but today I didn't get a call. I did have a good morning volunteer in a Kindergarten class...not doing much, but showing the school that I care enough to come in without being paid!! But then it got snowy...and school was actually let out early!

All of this leads to....

I still love storm days. There is something magical in the air when you know that school's out! I actually was legitimately scared today as I was driving...my wheels aren't the greatest...but I loved that little brief interlude of being home and having the snow lightly falling and knowing that I was cozy and safe inside my warm house! I even baked a bit, prepared supper, watched a little TV show before heading back in town to tutor but that was a fun little "break"!!!

Now...I am going to be grateful again!!!

3 gifts of unframed art:
One of my part time jobs is to do birthday parties at the local art gallery! I love this job...I don't always love missing out on activities that happen during this time...but when I get in there and get in the mode of talking with kids about art...I LOVE every second of it. So I want to talk about the gifts of art that I appreciate...
1. Seeing kids create! I love seeing their ideas. I love leading them but NEVER boxing them into a certain kind of art and knowing that what comes out of them is always better and more authentic then forcing them to conform to something and ending up with carbon copies of the same idea over and over
2. I love the art of a Christmas Tree. I love seeing how people decorate. I love bows, I love feathers, I love garland....I love colored lights, I love no lights and I love white lights..... I just love seeing each families personalities are found in their trees.
3. I love splatters of paints across a canvas. I don't care if its professional Jackson Pollack or a kids version of making a mess... I love colors. I love modern art and I love impressions and drops and abstract ideas! I just adore art in general and I love to appreciate some one else's creativity!
Some art work from my parties:


 One of my favorite trees:
Saw this amazing painting in real life in New York Metropolitan Art Museum:

2 comments:

  1. appreciate the east coast storm days. they are far less magical here on the west - teachers still have to work! love you. glad you see the beauty in the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh -- there is something so magical about a storm day - even if it doesn't change my daily routine in the slightest -- just knowing everyone else gets to be home, too. well..not everyone, but...still. too bad the snow was all gone again this morning...i am really really hoping for a white Christmas. love being able to visit you...but i pray really hard for you to get work, too....i know its hard. i love you.

    ReplyDelete