Friday 22 March 2013

Writing about Writing

When I first got my blog (back in the xanga days) it was because of my good friend Sean. He had a cool blog and I wrote my first entry about how personal it was to look into someone's eyes. I actually still remember the tiny bit of fear I had in posting something "out there" that I had personally written...and with time I discovered that the people who are reading it were ones who I could trust and who were just generally interested in me as a friend....I also realized that LURKERS were around every corner. I didn't like that I would see someone who was an acquaintance and have them know little details about my life that I had never directly told them or even knew that they knew...so I started to edit myself and also make things a bit more private and I definitely checked my stats and saw who was reading!

Now I read alot of blogs and I have found links to other blogs I like and I am actually a lurker. I read without commenting and I check peoples tumblr's and I have really started to enjoy being inspired by people who I will never talk to or know or even have direct communication via comments with. I have actually been edited from viewing a blog or two in my day! haha (I totally get it!!!)

But now I have started slowly blogging again, and to what end? My readers are still my faithful few...people who I would probably write emails to if I didn't have a blog...so in some ways I'm realizing that this blog is MY outlet.

I like getting comments...but I'm definitely not writing for them. I'm not doing cute activities so I have something to post...(thats what instagram's for! LOL) but I seriously do love the blogs I follow. They all inspire me for some reason or another. I have stopped following or reading blogs that I have no connection with...if someone doesn't inspire me or challenge me or even plain ol entertain me....there is millions of options so I don't have to read a boring blog these days anymore!

The ones I love the most though? My friends. The people I know. The lives that I follow for one reason or another....
maybe I enjoy the colors of their photos, the design of their house and the yummy recipes they post...
maybe I like to just hear what its like being a mama (which are the majority of the friends who post these days)
I like reading about people who have researched things and present an edited and concisely informative blog on the important points of why organic living is best, or different parenting techniques, or food and health concerns.
I really like reading people's spiritual journeys who are real and authentic...but what do I know? Blogs are only authentic to a point...so I take from it what I can and trust that God is working in ways I can't ever really know beyond the scope of what I can know.
I love reading personal stories about mamas who enjoy and love being a mama. It inspires me to know that there are mamas who are thrilled to be caretakers of their children, who find ways to invest in the futures of littles who will grow up to love Jesus, love life and love people.
I love reading stories about wives who seek to be encouraging friends to their husbands. I love reading about love but more than that---- I love reading about people who are just simply living their lives and feel comfortable sharing who they are through a blog.

The point of this blog is that I get that there are many reason for people to write. There are lots of angles people write to and reasons they write and goals in their writing. It can be a book opportunity, it can be to simply connect with friends near and far, it can be an outlet, it can be an escape from reality....it can just be a recording of important things they don't want to forget! All of these things are part of why I write (except the book thing).

I look forward to seeing where blogs will continue to impact the future. I love the trend and I see it growing in some ways and morphing into something else in others! I don't know! But to the bloggers I read and appreciate so much, I thank you for inspiring and challenging me and giving me a place to dream!

2 comments:

  1. I too love reading the blogs of people that I know and love, including yours!
    Blogging is always a bit of a challenge for me because I love to do it, I love the community of it, and for me it is an honest expression of myself that I often can't express in other forms. But, it is also often hard for me to put myself out there in all my imperfections for who knows who to read when there is soooo much that they don't know or see.
    Anyways, I love that you blog and I love hearing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did love this post...I know there are many reasons why people write -- many styles, many topics, but I agree, the ones I love the best are written by people I know and love, and giving me different views of glimpses into their worlds and hearts...another reason why I love reading yours...thanks for sharing your heart and life with me. I love ya and love having you in my world.

    ReplyDelete