Thursday 23 May 2013

EB

For over 30 years, I've been Erin Elizabeth Bredin.
I've been linked to a great heritage of people who have loved Jesus, served Jesus and given their entire lives to be in the ministry.
I grew up as a pastor's kid. I was known by my last name especially with the church people. I was loved and supported by hundreds of people because of whose daughter I was. I just recently looked through some old bins of notes and cards that I have had since high school and found SO many encouraging letters from so many people over the years.
I went to Prairie Bible College, and most of my friends from their call me EB. (Thanks to Britt! hahaha) My identity their was almost all from the people I hung out with. A few people knew my family and there were a few traveling missionaries or old family friends that I met up with, but I was largely unknown until I found my community of friends.
Living on PEI, you are always, ALWAYS asked "Now, what is your father's last name?" almost anytime you are meeting someone for the first time. I've been shamed into admitting I'm not an Islander! hahah But I always qualify it with, if Anne of GG is an Islander then so am I! I am definitely an Islander at heart!
As a sub teacher, my name around the school out of most of the kindergartner's mouths is "Miss Bumble-B". The older kids call me Miss B, and that is how I am known by the kids and if I slip up and say my name is Miss Bredin...they immediately call me out and tell me that my name is MISS B!!! haha

All my legal documents say Erin Bredin.
My doctor and dentist know me as Erin Bredin.
My landlords receive their rent from Erin Bredin.
My driver's license says Erin Bredin.

I'm Erin Elizabeth Bredin.
For about one more week.

I can't even begin to understand what a BIG BIG MOMENTOUS occasion it is to GET MARRIED, CHANGE YOUR NAME, MOVE IN WITH YOUR BFF and START A LIFE TOGETHER.

I've been reading some really amazing blogs lately about people in all different stages of Love. I know Danny and I are in a very specific stage that could never last forever. There is this THRILL of excitement when I get to see him, even if it was just the night before that I saw him. I even get excited sometimes when he goes outside to do something and then comes back in the house! hahah Every night when I have to drive back to my own apartment, it just feels weird. Its starting to feel strange when I don't see him at the end of every day, and I haven't really started many days with him so I can't wait until that happens.

But I am realizing that soon my identity will be Erin Elizabeth Stretch. It feels like I'll be a whole new girl. That I will be stepping into being a grown up after all these years. That I will finally get to be a wife. That I will finally get to look around my HOME...not just an apartment or a place I'm living, but a home where I belong!

I am excited for the seasons to change and our relationship to strengthen. I know we have so much to go through and so much to grow in as our hearts continue to submit and love each other as a husband and wife. I am sad to give my name up a little...but I love my new name.

Stretch. This is a name that is known on the Island. There is a huge heritage here. This family has such a great reputation for being hard workers, detailed, helpers, givers and God-fearing folks! I am proud to become a Stretch, although it is intimidating at times to feel like my personality is completely opposite from them. But I know that I will be better for it. I am already learning (haven't quite mastered this yet!!!) to be more patient, take better care of details and to work hard without complaining!I hope that I can share with Danny the amazing qualities I bring as a Bredin. We have a reputation for being food and coffee lovers, investing in people/relationships, givers, encouragers, and God fearing folks!

I am proud of my family and I am excited to have a whole new family to add to it!
So for one more week, you can call me a Bredin....and I will cherish that name.
But after that, I'll be Erin Stretch!

3 comments:

  1. Awwww...it is mixed emotions, changing your name, for sure...to many, you will always still likely be referred to as "Erin Bredin"...I am still Kristi Bredin to many, and I've been a Paulino for over 10 years now!! With the last name "Stretch", you're one step closer to being a 'real Islander'!! haha...I'm so excited for you to get married! I know you are going to just love it...of course its not easy all the time: but its sooo awesome sharing your life with the one you love...and I'm so happy we are in the same little town...I hope we will always live so close to each other! :) Love you, Erin Bredin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll always be EB to me, even though in pumped for you to be a wife. I still get excited for tommy to come home for lunch and after work...I don't think that ever changes. Glad to be a part of your story. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing your heart, Erin! Thank you for sharing this. :) I will remember that phase too when it felt weird to split apart at the end of an evening. You will love, love, love forever when you don't have to do that anymore... when you get to be together all day and night... and it is pure and holy and good and right. Praying for you friend and so, so, so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete